This forum is for discussion about content found on https://apolloinrealtime.org 

Very little of the thousands of hours of Mission Control audio on the website has been heard or documented. As you find moments of interest, post them here for discussion.

Author Topic: 133:58:34 Reed: "If this damn PGNS gets in the way, I'm gonna raise hell!"  (Read 2320 times)

Offline MadDogBV

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
FLIGHT Milt Windler had surprised the flight dynamics crew by calling for the PGNS to be activated early, partly due to generous power margins, but mostly to help warm up the freezing crew. As a result, the trench suddenly became very active, but the backrooms and computers are still operating on a skeleton staff due to not anticipating a power-up until the planned midcourse at 137 hours. It's currently 134.

GUIDO Gary Renick has been trying to get the dynamics officer in the RTCC, Ken Leach, to run a starsearch. However, Ken is the only dynamics officer on duty and he has been prioritizing the FIDO's requests. After Gary complains about his slowness in computing the search, Ken fires back a blunt rejoinder about the trench's lack of organization. Then FIDO Dave Reed, who is about as stressed out as any flight dynamics officer can be, decides it's time to have a word with his guidance officer.

https://apolloinrealtime.org/13/?t=133:58:34&ch=21

The two have argued with each other before; when Dave had pressured him to tell Windler that it was not practical to run a P52 in the current compressed entry timeline, Gary buckled: "He is the FLIGHT, Dave."
« Last Edit: October 21, 2023, 09:39:11 am by MadDogBV »

Offline kendradog

• View Profile
You can really hear the exhaustion and frustration in their voices and language. In the movie, there some scenes that showed the astronauts getting testy over time, but in the movie the mission controllers are always pretty calm.

In reality though, constant work, little sleep, maybe sleeping on floors and not showering for a few days, takes its toll. CAPCOM Jack Lousma sounds as cool as always of course.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2023, 07:25:56 pm by kendradog »

Offline MadDogBV

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
A small addendum to this one: Compare and contrast FIDO Dave Reed at 134 hours with FIDO Dave Reed almost exactly 20 hours prior. He sounds more like a pilot on a commercial airliner flying to Honolulu. ;D Everybody must have felt pretty confident about how the last day of the flight would play out, until of course the actual reality of the situation hit everyone in the face.

Link: https://apolloinrealtime.org/13/?t=114:57:57&ch=20

Offline Naraht

• View Profile
To be fair, compare and contrast Dave Reed before the accident, having an argument with Booster because Marshall want to use his vector and he says agreed procedure is that they should calculate their own. (This is part of an argument that started much earlier.)

https://apolloinrealtime.org/13/?t=005:28:02&ch=20

He certainly sounds fresher but equally testy. I think he had a little bit of a temper.

Offline MadDogBV

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Oh yes, I've listened to him in some of the prelaunch dialogue; he does have a little bit of a temper, yes.  ;D

Listen carefully in this one, when he speaks to Gary again (he slams the desk!): https://apolloinrealtime.org/13/?t=134:14:44&ch=20

I've regarded him as probably one of the most senior FIDOs in the Trench, particularly after Bostick and Shaffer became leaders of the Flight Dynamics branch. Jay Greene was brilliant, of course, but Reed had all the confidence in the world - a must when dealing with other members of his cohort.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2023, 10:40:10 am by MadDogBV »

Offline Naraht

• View Profile
I've regarded him as probably one of the most senior FIDOs in the Trench, particularly after Bostick and Shaffer became leaders of the Flight Dynamics branch. Jay Greene was brilliant, of course, but Reed had all the confidence in the world - a must when dealing with other members of his cohort.
No argument on "one of the most senior." You only have to look at the fact that Reed and Greene were the only two FIDOs ever to work a lunar descent. Their reputation must have been high indeed.

Of course there was a little bit of rivalry between Reed and Greene. As you may know already, Ed Pavelka assigned Greene to work descent on Apollo 11, and as he says: "Dave Reed was incensed. He could not stand it... I heard a lot of complaints over the years from Dave on that and I think it ended up frustrating him to the point where... he quit NASA." (Greene says the same thing in his own oral history; Reed denies it.)

It occurs to me that Reed might well have become a flight director if he hadn't left. Shaffer and Greene both did. (Bostick interestingly not.) The position of FIDO seems to have been a good launching pad, unsurprisingly.