This forum is for discussion about content found on https://apolloinrealtime.org 

Very little of the thousands of hours of Mission Control audio on the website has been heard or documented. As you find moments of interest, post them here for discussion.

Author Topic: How is "Join in progress" calculated?  (Read 2918 times)

Offline iyingchi

• View Profile
How is "Join in progress" calculated?
« on: April 09, 2020, 04:56:06 pm »
Does anyone know how is "Join in progress" calculated?

Obviously for Apollo 11 and 17, 50 yrs ago exactly doesn't map to any timeline in the mission. (For apollo 13 for that matter) So I'm curious on the algorithm. To map exactly on just same time on the same day of the week doesn't work either b/c the some missions lasts longer than 7 days.

Thanks for any answers!
Connie

Offline anott

• View Profile
Re: How is "Join in progress" calculated?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2020, 08:42:05 am »
Ben Feist commented on this on Twitter the other day - "It simply uses your system clock. When outside of the days that the mission occurred it does some hacky math to just pick a time. It's essentially like Google's "I'm feeling lucky" button.  During the anniversary however, it will sync up exactly to the second, 50 years later."

Hope this helps.

Offline anott

• View Profile
Re: How is "Join in progress" calculated?
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2020, 10:58:37 am »
Just a quick update: Ben has just fixed a bug that was stopping my browser synching to today's date (10th Apr), so if you try the "now" button again it should play the mission in real-time 50 years ago exactly.