This forum is for discussion about content found on https://apolloinrealtime.org 

Very little of the thousands of hours of Mission Control audio on the website has been heard or documented. As you find moments of interest, post them here for discussion.

Author Topic: Other Apollo Missions  (Read 6697 times)

Offline chubble

• View Profile
Other Apollo Missions
« on: May 24, 2021, 01:34:09 am »
I tried looking around briefly if this question had already been asked and answered but didn't see anything.

Is there a chance other Apollo missions will be added to this site?

I'd love to hear the Apollo 8 mission since it is the first trip to the moon. Apollo 12 would be awesome too with the lightning strike after take off and hearing John Aaron in action earning his "steely eyed missile man" name. And I'm sure all the missions have amazing parts of them that I'm not aware of.
Thanks for this amazing site!

Offline bfeist

• Administrator
  • Apollo in Real Time founder
    • View Profile
Re: Other Apollo Missions
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2021, 12:10:54 pm »
Yes! We're working on Apollo 16 now. It probably not going to be ready for the 50th anniversary, but we'll try.

Offline mdinn

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2021, 08:25:35 pm »
Hi Ben
I’d like to put in a vote for Apollo 8. First mission where we at Honeysuckle became a major player
Mike

Offline MadDogBV

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2021, 10:03:08 am »
It'll take a while for all of those tapes to be restored. I would be interested to hear Apollo 7 myself to hear how mission control, and in particular Glynn Lunney, reacts to Wally Schirra's wanton insubordination. That said, they probably wouldn't say anything too critical of the astronauts on the loops...

Offline Naraht

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2022, 04:55:23 am »
Yes! We're working on Apollo 16 now. It probably not going to be ready for the 50th anniversary, but we'll try.

Apologies if this is an obvious answer one way or the other, but is this going to include the Mission Control audio as well, or will it be like 17?

I've been keeping my eye on the relevant NSF grant page and the project is clearly going ahead but I can't tell where they actually are, if anywhere, with further digitization of the tapes. It's clearly planned, though, and the project is due to end in 2023, so here's hoping. https://www.nsf.gov/awardsearch/showAward?AWD_ID=2016725&HistoricalAwards=false

Needless to say I know that everyone involved in all of this is doing all they possibly can! This has been such an amazing resource and it will be wonderful to hear and see more, in whatever order it comes. (But yes, if I were wishing I would put in a vote for 7 or 8.)

Offline Kasper

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2023, 01:20:11 pm »

Hi there :-)
Any news about when Apollo 16 is coming online?
I am really looking forward to that :-)
/Kasper

Offline bfeist

• Administrator
  • Apollo in Real Time founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2023, 11:08:57 pm »
Not for several years. Hold-up at the National Archives.

Offline Kasper

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2023, 08:58:41 am »
Okay. But what do you mean with a hold up?

Offline MadDogBV

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2023, 12:52:55 pm »
As noted in an earlier post, there was a delay - likely as a result of COVID-19 and budget constraints - and it looks like the end date of the project was pushed back to August 2024 according to NSF's award page.

Offline Naraht

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2023, 02:23:28 am »
Is Apollo 16 planned to include the Mission Control loops?

(I swear I've spent more than 20 years lying awake at night worrying that all these tapes are going to crumble into dust before they're digitized. I'm glad that the NSF-funded project got extended but I'm not going to relax yet.)

Offline Naraht

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2023, 08:39:47 am »
In case anyone is interested, I've been digging for information about how the digitization process is progressing, and this paper from June 2022 is highly encouraging:

"The years 2020 and first half of 2021 were marked by slowly moving digitization efforts due to COVID-19 restrictions. Even with these restrictions, CRSS-UTDallas was able to digitize an additional 50,000 hours of audio. This audio is recorded at 44.1Khz at NASA, JSC which houses the only existing system that can play the Apollo analog tapes. Entire Apollo 8, 9, and 10 were digitized, providing valuable information on MCC speakers." Source: https://aclanthology.org/2022.nidcp-1.3.pdf

Offline MadDogBV

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2023, 10:18:05 pm »
Oh my goodness. Apollo 8. That one is going to be a blast.

And evidently Apollo 9. On the EECOM loops in Apollo 13, when the question is asked by an ECS man "how can I tell it's night on Apollo 9?", John Aaron tells him jokingly to look for when "Liebergot woke the crew up." Which makes me wonder what he did.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2023, 10:33:30 pm by MadDogBV »

Offline Kasper

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2023, 04:18:11 pm »
As noted in an earlier post, there was a delay - likely as a result of COVID-19 and budget constraints - and it looks like the end date of the project was pushed back to August 2024 according to NSF's award page.

Does that mean that Apollo 16 will be out in August 2024? If not, what is your best estimate when?
I cant wait 😁

Offline Stephen Slater

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2023, 08:09:47 pm »
Unfortunately it's more likely that I will be selected as an astronaut..... a very long way to go on Apollo 16!!

Offline Kasper

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2023, 04:53:39 am »
But why? There most be a good answer to that.
How much have been completed in percentage?)
It was stated here that the goal was to make it by the 50th aniversary of Apollo 16. Now we are approaching the 52nd.