This forum is for discussion about content found on https://apolloinrealtime.org 

Very little of the thousands of hours of Mission Control audio on the website has been heard or documented. As you find moments of interest, post them here for discussion.

Author Topic: 058:15:52 Greene calls FIDO console, gets briefing from Stoval after accident  (Read 1586 times)

Offline MadDogBV

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Jay Greene calls up the FIDO console shortly after the crew moves into the LM. FIDO Boone informs him that he, Stoval, and Bostick are at the FIDO console. (Earlier in the FIDO loop, Bostick can actually be heard telling Boone "that's okay, don't worry about it" about an unrelated dynamics issue, much to Boone's annoyance.)

Then the call is passed off to Stoval who briefs Jay on what abort maneuvers are being planned to get the crew home early. The call concludes with Jay deciding he'll probably go to the MOCR to help out, even though he isn't technically on duty.

Link: https://apolloinrealtime.org/13/?t=058:15:52&ch=20
« Last Edit: November 29, 2021, 11:43:58 am by MadDogBV »

Offline Naraht

• View Profile
Nice find! I'd missed this for some reason. He sounds uncharacteristically subdued.

Offline MadDogBV

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
He's probably tired. ;D His shift ended just 9 hours prior. However, I can also imagine him being businesslike since he would have undoubtedly heard the news about Apollo 13 being in danger, either from fellow engineers or on the radio. When you listen to the FIDO loops from before the accident to during and after, you can perceive a definite change in their tone from leisurely and relaxed to laconic and strained.

Offline Naraht

• View Profile
Per his oral history, he actually heard about it from his then-girlfriend...

I was at home, because I had a shift and I was going to do descent. I was lying on the couch, and my wife, who wasn’t my wife, she called and she said, “You see what happened?” And I hadn’t. So I drove onsite. We all sort of responded to what we heard on the radio and drove onsite. It was pretty grim. I don’t think there was anybody who expected that crew to live. A lot of them, in retrospect, will tell you how macho and cool, but it was pretty grim.

Obviously everyone was stressed and worried but I do think he sounds shaken. He took a much more pessimistic view of the situation than many/most of his colleagues – a couple of whom, Sy Liebergot and Chuck Deiterich, have since indignantly refuted his claim that no one expected the crew to live – so maybe it stands to reason that it would be audible in his voice.

And of course he, like everyone else, went to the MOCR even though he was told he wasn't needed immediately!