This forum is for discussion about content found on https://apolloinrealtime.org 

Very little of the thousands of hours of Mission Control audio on the website has been heard or documented. As you find moments of interest, post them here for discussion.

Author Topic: Apollo 11 Guidance loop very low  (Read 4268 times)

Offline Naraht

• View Profile
Apollo 11 Guidance loop very low
« on: July 21, 2020, 07:48:31 am »
Having followed through the lunar descent shift on the FIDO loop, I'm now trying to do the same with Guidance, but it seems like the audio on that loop is often a lot lower than on other loops. It's not inaudible but it's difficult to listen to.

I'm not certain if this was an issue with the recording or the digitisation or with Apollo in Real Time itself, but thought I'd flag up in case there was any fix?

A couple of random examples:
https://apolloinrealtime.org/11/?t=096:18:08&ch=21
https://apolloinrealtime.org/11/?t=096:38:40&ch=21

In the mean time I'll carry on doing my best to follow the various debates between Steve Bales and Jack Garman. :)

Offline bfeist

• Administrator
  • Apollo in Real Time founder
    • View Profile
Re: Apollo 11 Guidance loop very low
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2020, 06:47:20 pm »
This is an issue with the digitization unfortunately. Long story.

Offline Naraht

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2020, 01:45:56 am »
Oh well, thanks for letting me know! I can't complain... too busy hoping that they'll be digitizing other Apollo missions next.

Offline bfeist

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2020, 08:20:48 am »
It's in work. I just got word that the National Science Foundation has awarded a grant to the researchers who did 11 and 13 audio to do the rest of the Apollo missions (160,000 hours). It will take many years, but it's happening.

Offline Naraht

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2020, 10:57:17 am »
Thank you so much for sharing this news. I have literally spent time lying awake in bed – intermittently over the past twenty years or so – worrying that these priceless historical sources wouldn't be preserved. This is wonderful news and I'll wait as patiently as I can. :)
« Last Edit: July 23, 2020, 11:06:38 am by Naraht »

Offline Naraht

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2021, 05:11:42 am »
It's in work. I just got word that the National Science Foundation has awarded a grant to the researchers who did 11 and 13 audio to do the rest of the Apollo missions (160,000 hours). It will take many years, but it's happening.

I'm wondering whether you have any further news about this? Obviously I'm not expecting any outputs from the work for quite some time, but I haven't even seen a public announcement about it. Is there anywhere that I could keep an eye on to find out more as the process unfolds?

Offline bfeist

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2021, 11:27:07 am »
No news at all. JSC has been in lockdown for 9 months. Even if there was funding, digitization wouldn't be happening--and there's still no word on funding.

Offline Naraht

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2021, 03:00:28 pm »
No news at all. JSC has been in lockdown for 9 months. Even if there was funding, digitization wouldn't be happening--and there's still no word on funding.

Alas, no news is not good news. But thank you for the update. I'll keep my fingers and toes all crossed!
« Last Edit: February 21, 2021, 03:20:06 pm by Naraht »