This forum is for discussion about content found on https://apolloinrealtime.org 

Very little of the thousands of hours of Mission Control audio on the website has been heard or documented. As you find moments of interest, post them here for discussion.

Author Topic: Download of a complete "mission".  (Read 13694 times)

Offline fsofso

• View Profile
Download of a complete "mission".
« on: March 14, 2020, 05:27:45 am »
This is an amazing work very well done! Hope it will cover all Apollo mission.
I would like to save a copy for my own archive (it is a huge archive, with a lot of material well organized), without to be force to use the web.
Is it possible to download a whole mission? If it is any suggestion about how to do it?

Thank you a lot.
Fulvio.

Offline bfeist

• Administrator
  • Apollo in Real Time founder
    • View Profile
Re: Download of a complete "mission".
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2020, 07:55:26 pm »
Unfortunately that is not possible. This is designed to be an online project and only works when running on the web.

Offline djbilo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2020, 12:45:30 am »
Wondering something similar.  Some of us have multi-track audio editing software and it would be a real hoot to have a copy of the 30 tracks from the tapes and load them up in the editor so we could select & deselect various tracks, pan them left to right, and so on, just to play around with the various channels in other ways not possible from the web site.

No criticism intended.  This site is just fantastic.  I'm a NASA brat from the 60s onward and just discovered this (where have I been?) and have had a great time this evening getting acquainted with this site plus passing it along to my family and friends.

Congratulations on producing something really special.  Hoping you'll eventually be able to do all the moon missions in the same way?  What a national treasure this is!

Offline bfeist

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2020, 02:40:33 pm »
You can totally do that! The 30-track audio that our team has restored is being uploaded by JSC to archive.org. It might already be there. Download the individual channels of each tape and throw them into your multitrack system and you should be good to go.

Offline daniel

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2020, 05:28:39 am »
Hi,
Just to say that you can certainly do this.
I've personally done such a setup with first Apollo 11 and now 13.
Edit: all of the Apollo 13 tapes appear to be up.
Hth.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2020, 10:18:44 am by daniel »

Offline jfayre

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2020, 11:20:07 am »
Hello,
Can someone shoot me a link to the archive of the restored tapes on archive.org?
I'm totally blind, and the accessibility of archive.org isn't the best. I found the nasa audio collection, but it looks like the tapes there are the old ones.
I would love to have this audio as well for my personal collection.

Offline Naraht

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2020, 11:22:34 am »
Can anyone offer any insight into how to figure out which of the Archive.org tapes corresponds to which loop and which part of the mission? Or do you just have to dip into them and listen until you get some idea? The file names on Archive.org don't seem to correspond to anything else that I can figure out. Or am I missing something?

ETA: Ah, I think I get it... the channel numbers from the image are in the filename. So "CH17" is EECOM and "CH20" is FIDO, for example. I think.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2020, 11:25:30 am by Naraht »

Offline daniel

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2020, 11:28:24 am »
Hi,
The link to the Apollo 13 MOCR ACR Collection is here:
https://archive.org/details/nasaaudiocollection?and%5B%5D=%22Apollo+13+MOCR+ACR+Collection%22&sin=&sort=-publicdate
I'm totally blind as well, I've managed to grab things from that collection, although could send you a pm with more exact instructions if it would be useful.
Using the second edit box for searching exact tape numbers cuts down on the lag with screenreaders significantly.
I also have a document with the channel assignments, as the two tracksheets on archive.org are both jpgs and don't OCR particularly well.
Hth.

Daniel

Offline daniel

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2020, 11:36:50 am »
@Naraht, I don't think there is an index to the tape numbers as of yet.
They do however progress in an order from T920 backwards to T911, hr1 and hr2.
The pattern switches up a bit after that, although will keep this short on here due to the fact that this is only slightly related to the apollo in realtime project.
It's logical for the most part though.
Not sure what the policy is with discussing the multitrack tapes on here, but if the admins are alright with it I'm certainly happy to continue this discussion.
I've been listening to these over the last little while, so can probably answer any general questions as far as tape order and timeline.
Hth.

Offline jfayre

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2020, 11:38:13 am »
Amazing! I just sent you a PM.
Do you have a link for the apollo 11 tapes as well?
I'm an amateur radio operator. I'm thinking of doing something creative with one of the missions and an allstar node. Maybe have a way of entering a mission time to jump to via DTMF from a radio. This is what we do when we're borred and need something to do in isolation.

Offline daniel

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2020, 11:43:55 am »
Hi,
Very cool. Here's the link:
https://archive.org/search.php?query=Apollo%2011%20MOCR%20ACR%20Collection
It's worth noting that these files are unprocessed in any fashion.
The levels are all over the place, and there's persistent hums.
I've cleaned these files up significantly on my end, although I don't have online storage enough to host them at the moment.

Offline Naraht

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2020, 04:53:54 pm »
Thanks daniel for your help.

I've also discovered this rather useful guide to the content of the tapes: http://users.umiacs.umd.edu/~oard/teaching/269/spring19/hw/E4/

roonilwazlib

« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2020, 09:21:31 pm »
Does anyone know what channel the flight directors loop is on left/right?

roonilwazlib

« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2020, 10:51:43 pm »
Never mind i figured it out, for some reason most tape tracks are incorrectly labeled as well as out of order so track 29 and 30 are actually channel 7 and 8, so if you want to listen from the beginning the order is 915, 913,911,927,925,923,920, 716Ch7 716Ch8 and lastly 926. This is the order for the flight director loop as of right now anyway.

Offline bfeist

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2020, 08:09:49 pm »
I'm super late to responding to this thread, apologies. Attached are the track numbers for 13. 11 is very similar.

These correspond to the "channel" numbers on Apollo in Real Time, except 30 is added to the HR2 track numbers, for a total of 60 channels. Several channels have not been exported by NASA, namely the DOD channels.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2020, 08:15:53 pm by bfeist »